Gabion Mattresses, like gabions, are wire fabric containers, uniformly partitioned, of variable size, interconnected with other similar containers and filled with stone at the site of use, to form flexible, permeable, monolithic structures such as gabion retaining walls, sea walls, channel linings, revetments and weirs for earth retention.
Mattresses are relatively small in height in relation to the lateral dimension of a gabion and are generally used for channel linings. Our gabions and mattresses are manufactured from welded wire mesh and assembled with our preformed spiral binder (3" pitch). We suggest the use of preformed stiffeners at each exposed face of the gabion.
Gabions and mattresses will revegetate over time as the structure collects soil and the airborne or waterborne seeds of locally occurring plant life. This spontaneous growth will create a very natural environment and will increase the efficiency of a gabion structure as the plants enhance the soil stability. It may be desirable to foster the growth of a particular plant species and/or hasten the natural process of vegetation.In this case, Eco Mattresses are the ideal solution. Standard gabion mattresses fitted with a geotextile liner are filled with graded stone; the stone fill is then saturated with a quality soil medium - this may or may not be seeded. A natural fiber mat is placed across the top and then the mesh lid is attached to hold it in place. If the Eco Mattresses is not seeded, it would be planted with small seedlings through the fiber mat.
Gabion mattresses material：
- Zinc 5% Aluminum - mixed rare earth alloy steel.
- Zinc 5% Aluminum - mixed rare earth alloy steel wire PVC coated.
- Hot dipped high galvanized steel wire.
- PVC coated hot-dip high galvanized steel wire.
Gabion mattresses features：
- Flexibility: low-carbon steel wire as a combination of structure, reno mattress has a strong flexibility to adapt to the local subsidence deformation of foundation and protected body. Reno mattresses can adjust their own healing, to prevent the continued development of the deformation.
- Durability: The Reno mattress is a structure made of hexagonal woven Low carbon steel wire, with hard rock combined to form a very large overall durability.
- Environmental Friendly: Reno mattresses are filled with stones Meeting certain requirements to form protection structures. In the waterfront environment, the voids in the rock fill become progressively filled with silt, promoting vegetation growth which is essential to the preservation and maintenance of the ecological balance of the surrounding environment.
- Permeability: The stone fill allows the water to seep through the structure while retaining the soil, therefore no additional drainage is required to relieve the hydrostatic pressures. The Reno mattress ensure natural water exchange with the natural groundwater, further strengthened the environmental effects.
- Integrity: The reno mattress constituted by independent units, but between each adjacent unit has steel wire twisted, So it has good integrity.
- Economy: The stones reno mattress required is gravel or pebbles, so the stones cost is low. Reno mattress construction does not require skilled labor because they are very easy to build. No drainage system, Limited construction equipment can be used. If the design and construction is reasonable, the structure is long life and no maintenance.
Gabion reno mattresses treatment process:
Steel surface treatment using a double anti-corrosion zinc + plastic cover.
According to ASTM and EN standards, low-carbon steel wire diameter varies based on the engineering design requirements. Generally between 2.0 and 4.0mm, the tensile strength of steel wire not less than 380Mpa, metal coating weight is generally higher than 245g / ㎡, the edge of the line generally larger than the diameter of cable diameter. The double stranded portion of length not less than 50mm,To ensure that the twisted part of the wire metal coating and PVC coating from damage.
Note: ASTM is American Society for Testing and Materials abbreviation; EN is European standards.
Gabion mattress specifications：
|Size of Gabion Cage (m)||Cell Size|
|8 cm x 10 cm||6 cm x 8 cm|
|Length||Width||Height||Galvanized or PVC Coated||Galvanized or PVC Coated|
|Mesh Wire Diameter||Quantity of Zinc||Mesh Wire Diameter||Quantity of Zinc|
|4||2||0.17/0.23/0.30||Selvedge Wire Diameter||Quantity of Zinc||Selvedge Wire Diameter||Quantity of Zinc|
|6||2||0.17/0.23/0.30||Tie Wire Diameter 2.7mm||Tie Wire Diameter 2.0mm|
Mattresses new sizes: 5 x 2 x .30 mm, 4 x 2 x .30 mm, 5 x 2 x .30 mm, 6 x 2 x .17 mm, 5 x 2 x .17 mm, 4 x 2 x .17 mm, 3 x 2 x .17 mm.
Note: All sizes and dimensions are nominal. Tolerances of ± 3% of the width, length, and ± 2.5 cm of the height shall be permitted
When requesting a quote, please specify:
- size of units (length x width x height)
- type of mesh
- type of coating
EXAMPLE: No. 100 Reno mattresses 4x2x0.23 m - Mesh type 6x8, Wire diam. 2.2 mm- Galvanized
If you need to consult the price, please contact the business department by e-mail:
When you contact us, please provide your detail requirements.
That will help us give you a valid quotation.